After I finished making this dish, my mom told me that it was like a $15 entree from a nice restaurant. So YAY!
ALSO, this can EASILY be turned into a Vegan/Vegetarian dish by using tofu instead of chicken.
This is a really easy recipe!
- 1 lbs Skinless Boneless Chicken Breasts or 2 chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
- 4-6 tablespoons Flour
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 1-2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup (fresh) Orange Juice
- 1/2 cup Brown Rice Vinegar
- 1/2 cup White Sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Orange Zest
- 1/4 tablespoon Toasted Sesame Oil
- 2 teaspoons Corn Starch
- 1 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes, or to taste
Making the Sauce
- In a small sauce pan, mix corn starch into orange juice with a whisk until all lumps are gone. Add the brown rice vinegar, white sugar, soy sauce, orange zest, toasted sesame oil, and red pepper flakes.
- Put sauce pan on stove over medium heat.
- Bring to boil and cook until sauce thickens.
Note: if you put a wooden spoon in the sauce, you should be able to make a line on the back of the spoon with your finger without the sauce running back on itself
- Remove from heat and set aside.
Making the Chicken
- Add flour, salt and pepper to medium ziplock bag.
- Add chicken, that you have cut up into bite size pieces, and shake until all the pieces are evenly coated.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium high heat.
- Once the oil is hot, carefully, add the chicken. Cook each side until browned (depending on the heat of your stove this could take 1 - 3 minutes) continue turning all the pieces until each side is brown.
Note: To make sure the chicken is cooked through, find the biggest piece and cut it open, if it is cooked through the other pieces will be too.
- Once all this chicken is cooked, pour the orange sauce into the skillet. Turn the stove off and stir the chicken & sauce until the chicken is well coated. If desired, add snap peas, broccoli or any green veggie you want. Cover the skillet, leaving it on the burner. Let sit for 10-15 minutes.
Nutritional Information: Makes 5 servings. Calories: 288, Carbs: 24g, Fat: 10g, Protein: 22g, Sugar: 12g, Fiber: 0g